Interview with Kerry Thompson: A UK Leading Disability Blogger / Campaigner & Award Winning Activist

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to catch up with Kerry who is a popular UK Disability Campaigner and Activist. Since establishing her social media platforms in 2016, Kerry has advocated on behalf of others for fair access to toilets, in public places through the 'Changing Places' campaign, advises on traveling with a disability, the promotion of better mental health and championing for better disability accessDoes this lady ever stop?! Kerry's multiple social media outlets provide an insight into what it's like to live with a muscle-wasting condition called FHL1 Gene Mutation Muscular Dystrophy. Since her diagnosis at the age of 24 Kerry has established her sought after YouTubeInstagram and Facebook platforms and won awards along the way! A self confessed Aloe Vera addict, Kerry is someone who is passionate about supporting others and is a connoisseur for living in the moment.

Hi Kerry! Thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions.

I have been following you on social media for the past few months and wanted to know what inspired you to become a blogger?

I thought about starting a blog for awhile, but kept talking myself out of it. I was thinking who is really going to want to read what I have to say? I finally put my big girls wheels on and it started as kind of a free therapy session, a way for me to express what it’s like living with Muscular Dystrophy; a progressive muscle weakening condition and societies attitudes towards disabled people.

Your blog is a popular place to be, but h
ow do you decide what to write about and why?

In a way it’s a no brainer writing about something that I know a lot about! Which is living with Muscular Dystrophy and the barriers that you sometimes face, when you’re a disabled person. I also write about my campaigns. It’s a way of me sharing my experiences. 



How do you ensure what you write connects with your readers?

Writing about my experiences has been a great way for me to connect with my readers, as 9/10 times they have been through or are going through what I have in the past, present and future. 

For those reading who don't know you, could you tell us more about yourself?

I'm a disability blogger and campaigner living in Milton Keynes with my husband and fur baby Skye, our cat. I was diagnosed at 24 with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy; a progressive muscle wasting condition. I’m now 42 and I’ve always believed that it should never stop me from living life, the way I want to. Just because I am disabled it doesn’t mean my life has to end. I started campaigning for 'Changing Places' toilets over 6 years ago. This was after being introduced to a facility where I quickly realised that after years of struggling, and only drinking a few sips of water, if I was out of the house for more than 5 hours, was unacceptable! Because I am not able to use a standard accessible toilet, these are I believe, not fit for purpose. It dawned on me that there was a real lack of proper facilities, available in the UK. From this, I found I had a real passion for campaigning for disability rights. Alongside campaigning for more 'Changing Places' toilets, I am now working on my own campaign for accessible housing, by joining forces with others on women’s health and many other causes. I worked alongside Tesco’s in building 100 'Changing Places' facilities, within the stores which was a huge achievement. Being able to be on several panels with companies / charities like Habinteg and the Ombudsman for housing is a huge privilege. By sharing my experiences, I am able to give other disabled people a voice. I’ve been very fortunate with my campaigning work, it has taken my life in a direction I never thought it would. I have won several awards with the BBC and MDUK, I have had my articles published in newspapers, magazines and been interviewed by the local and national news about my campaigning. Also being an ambassador and working with user lead charities is a true honour and privilege.

So for those unfamiliar with your blog / social media can you tell us about them?

My blog 'My Life, Kerry’s Way' - is a way for me to share my experiences living with a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. I hope that it can help just one person know they are not alone, in any of the struggles they are facing. That just because I have a set of wheels, and heavily rely on help for daily tasks - it doesn’t mean that I don’t have my independence! The same with my other social media channels - it’s showing that I am human and just have 4 wheels as my legs! 

Do you identify as disabled / chronically ill? If so, how does this affect your daily life?

As a disabled person - I have a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy – a muscle wasting condition. It affects my arm and leg muscles, plus my respiratory system. I use a powered wheelchair full time. My daily life changes from day to day, I rely very heavily on other people to help with my independence. This can be support to get washed and dressed. Doing the most basic of tasks can be an uphill struggle one day, then the next it’s that little bit easier!

How did you feel when you first received your diagnosis? 

I was diagnosed when I was 24, there was always a high chance that I would be diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy, as my Mum and Brother have it. I’m not going to say that it was an easy diagnosis to hear, but it also wasn’t a shock either. Over the years I noticed certain things were changing within my body, that I remember my mum telling me happened to her. I think the hardest part, was telling my mum as she’d already faced my brothers diagnosis, as he is younger than I am. It’s understandable that my family were obviously very upset, that I was also diagnosed, but I was lucky enough to watch a very strong woman, my Mum raise two children and never once complain about having a disability and the struggles that she faced.    

Are there any aids / equipment you use to help you stay independent?

I use a powered wheelchair, which keeps my independence as it acts as my legs. I also have Neater Arms, that help my arm and abs movement. Also I use the Alexa to help me with the power to the heating, lights and plug sockets.   


       

Which one of your articles in your blog was the most popular and why do you think this was?

My most popular article was, and still is to this day 'Walking to Wheels - My Transition' - probably because I’m very honest about my journey. I went from walking to being in a wheelchair full time, I also talked about the struggles that I face. I think everyone goes through the same struggles mentally and physically, regardless of what disability you have. 

If you could go back and talk to your younger self - what would you say?

I would say you’re going to be okay. Life might not be what you thought it would be, but it’s also made you the person that you are today.

How do you spend your free time?

Free time what’s that?! I find that I don’t have much free time. But when I do, I love to watch a good movie, be with my friends, go for long wheels around and just take in the scenery! 

What was your most memorable holiday?

That would be my honeymoon! It was the first time, me and my husband have been abroad together and it was the first time that I went abroad in my wheelchair! 

Do you have a  favourite blogger you follow?

 I actually don’t have a favourite - I think it’s hugely important to support and be champions for all other disabled bloggers. 

Looking back at your blog journey, is there anything you would do differently?

Yes and no. I think the journey that I’ve had, has been detrimental to how I write now. Before I used to watch what I said, in case I upset anyone, now I think less about upsetting others when I write, because what I write is my truth.

Where do you see your blog / social media presence going over the next 12 months?

I’m hoping for world domination! Haha - No on a serious note, if my blog helps just one person, live the life that they truly deserve. By encouraging them to be more independent and by showing people that just because your disabled, life doesn’t need to stop there.

Describe yourself in 3 words.

 Blonde, sarcastic, loving 

How many readers do you have?

That’s like asking a ladies age! Lol. My readers can range from 10 to over 1000, it depends on what I write about.

What advice would you give someone starting a blog?

Finding your niche is easy.  Write about something you know about, something you’re passionate about and you can’t go wrong! Also don’t hold back, speak from the heart. 

Do you think social media is a good or bad thing - has it made the world more accessible?

Social media can be a good platform, but it could also be a very dangerous one. If used in the right way, it can make your world more accessible. But it can also be a dangerous place for trolls, so it’s very much a double edged sword. 

Are there any particular resources you use that you can recommend to others or equipment you need to use when blogging?

Google can be a great place when you need to research what you’re writing about. I tend to use my phone, when I’m writing, as I’m able to talk into my phone. It saves a lot of energy and my hands from typing! 

Name something you enjoy doing everyday - it could be something small, such as self care.

I enjoy speaking to my Nan, every single day and I find out something new about her all the time. Oh and of course I love a home facial too! 

What are your hobbies?

I love writing funnily, visiting and exploring new places or just watching a movie and having fun with my girl friends. 

What is your favourite movie and why?

Ooh... I have so many favourites! But I do love the good old St Trinian’s movies. I'm probably saying that, as I did watch one today and as always I was in fits of laughter! Catch me on a different day and it’s Captain Marvel - She is a bad a***

You mention your family and friends  in your blog - tell us about them.

I have an incredible family and friends, I know everyone probably says the same thing! They have been my support network - when times have been incredibly hard! But in the same sentence, they’ve also been my greatest cheerleaders, in the times when I’ve achieved something I never thought I could or would.  

Do you have any questions for me?

 What Legacy would you like to leave? 

Oh that is a good question! I would say that I want to be known for standing by what I believed in and that I stuck to my principles. I am passionate about making the world a more accessible and equal place for all. I also want people to know that you are worth someone else's time, someone will listen to you and care about you. You are enough, just as you are. 

That's all folks - thanks for taking part Kerry!

Find out more about Kerry and her antics & advocacy on her YouTube channel and be sure to check out her Instagram too. 

Collaborative post with Kerry Thompson - check out her Twitter here or Facebook here. If you liked this, be sure to check back regularly for other collaborative interviews! Thanks for stopping by!













Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Karen Darke MBE: Explorer, Adventurer and 'Modern Day Alchemist'

Accessible Heritage: Llancaiach Fawr Manor by Mobility Scooter [AD]

Hijinx Professional & Inclusive Theatre Company Presents Metamorphosis By Franz Kafka [AD]