Interview with Karen Darke MBE: Explorer, Adventurer and 'Modern Day Alchemist'

As part of my Journalism course with the NCTJ I was asked to undertake an interview with a fellow student. I was definitely overwhelmed when I 'met' who I would be interviewing. Karen Darke is a two-time British Paralympic hand cyclist who won gold in Rio in 2016 and silver in London in 2012. “I would describe myself as an adventurer by profession, but I wear many different hats, for instance I am a writer, a public speaker and a Coach. I have an exploratory mindset whilst using my life experiences to help others”. Karen earned a PhD and worked as a Scientist before becoming “paralysed at the age of 21 in a rock climbing accident” whilst climbing in Bolivian Andes. “I had to find new ways of accessing places that I love in nature” says Karen.
Karen describes herself as a “modern-day Alchemist” who motivates herself by connecting to how she wants to feel and visualising what she wants to create. “My lifestyle shift has been led by unexpected life events, I think I am probably on my 9th life and nearly died 8 times! This has had a big impact on my perspective in life”.


Karen is a published author having written 3 books and is working on a 4th “I am writing a book about a journey to Bhutan”. Karen also tell us ; “I am also working on a project called ‘The Pole of Possibilities’. Karen will be leading this expedition to the Antarctic to “raise awareness of the power of nature and mental health”.“All life experiences have taught me different things. I think when life throws something unexpected at me, it can be a tougher challenge because they are usually unwanted and painful, but if I chose to do something I think how can I make this happen?”
Karen earned a PhD and worked as a Scientist before becoming “paralysed at the age of 21 in a rock climbing accident” whilst climbing in Bolivian Andes. “I had to find new ways of accessing places that I love in nature” says Karen.
Karen describes herself as a “modern-day Alchemist” who motivates herself by connecting to how she wants to feel and visualising what she wants to create. “My lifestyle shift has been led by unexpected life events, I think I am probably on my 9th life and nearly died 8 times! This has had a big impact on my perspective in life”.
Karen is a published author having written 3 books and is working on a 4th “I am writing a book about a journey to Bhutan”. Karen also tell us ; “I am also working on a project called ‘The Pole of Possibilities’. Karen will be leading this expedition to the Antarctic to “raise awareness of the power of nature and mental health”.


“All life experiences have taught me different things. I think when life throws something unexpected at me, it can be a tougher challenge because they are usually unwanted and painful, but if I chose to do something I think how can I make this happen?”So for anyone unfamiliar with you, could you tell us about yourself?
I am an adventurer as a profession, I am a writer and a speaker and a coach. Those are the labels I give myself. I have a passion for being outside an in nature. I was paralysed when I was 21 in a rick climbing accident, so had to find new ways of accessing places that I love in nature.
Describe yourself in 5 words or less:
    Exploratory mindset, like to use life experience to help other people, sporty. These words are elements of the things that I value, they drive everything I do. 
     Could you tell me what has shaped you into the person you are today?
    Has been led by unexpected life events, I think I am probably on my 9th life and nearly died 8 times! This has had a big impact on my perspective in life. I think we are here to grow and expand as people.
      What is your greatest achievement to date?
     I have been lucky as I have achieved what others would consider high in this world, like a gold medal in the Olympics, a PhD and a series of honorary doctorates, MBE. But personally for me it is getting to a place where I feel a lot of inner peace, so that no matter what external events are happening I feel pretty peaceful inside. 
     What is your biggest fear?
      When I am in a negative mindset, it would be living a life which is too lonely. 
      What is your favourite word?
       Discombobulated
       What made you study the NCTJ qualification?

 I write, I have written 3 books and am working on a 4th. I thought it would be nice to get a different perspective on writing. The books I have written are largely based on biographical stories. 


 What skills are you hoping to learn from the course and what are you hoping to do with them in the future?I would like to do more paid writing for published articles, to have my own column.
What advice would you give your younger self and why? 
Don’t take it all too seriously, play with life and don’t get too serious about it.
What exciting plans do you have for the future?
Writing a book, a journey to Bhutan; I am taking a group of people there to lead the group there. Also a project called ‘The Pole of Possibilities’ to Antarctica to raise awareness of the power of nature and mental health.  
Do you find society to be accessible? How could it be more inclusive for individuals living with a disability?
Improving, the biggest barrier is peoples mindset.
How do you keep yourself motivated to achieve your goals?

I just connect with how I want to feel and what I want to create, just bringing positive energy into the world and I get excited by imagining that future. 
If you could have a super power, what would it be?
It would be to radiate love and kindness to everybody.
What is the worst thing anyone has said to you?
I was married once the individual in question said I was the lowest common denominator. As in everyone had to do what I couldn’t do and I was really hurt, it held me back for a long time.
What is your most treasured possession?
My laptop because it connects me to the whole world. Its my work, my creativity and my connections.
What do you do to relax?
I ride my bike, I meditate and spend time with friends.
You describe yourself as a ‘modern-day Alchemist, passionate about turning challenges into opportunities and transforming the difficult stuff into gold’. Could you tell me some of the challenges you have faced and how you have transformed them into opportunities?
   All experiences have taught me different things. I think when life throws something unexpected at me, it can be a tougher challenge because they are usually unwanted and painful. 
     How would you like to be remembered?

     A cool, kind person who people like sharing time with. 



Thanks for taking part Karen - that's all folks!

Collaborative post with Karen Darke - you can order your copy of Karen's books here. Be sure to keep up with the latest news from Karen on Twitter and Instagram. If you liked this, be sure to check back for more. Thanks for reading!









Popular posts from this blog

Accessible Heritage: Llancaiach Fawr Manor by Mobility Scooter [AD]

Hijinx Professional & Inclusive Theatre Company Presents Metamorphosis By Franz Kafka [AD]