Interview With Amanda Hearn: An Aspiring Poet ~ Who Just Happens to be a Fibro & CFS Warrior

 

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to catch up with Amanda who is an aspiring poet. Amanda's poetry publications provide an insight into what it's like to live with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I know that when you live with a chronic illness, you can feel frustrated, alone and thoroughly overwhelmed by trying to balance everyday life with copious amount of pain and debilitating fatigueI discovered Amanda's works on Instagram and was keen to talk to the person behind the insightful poetry.

Hi Amanda! Thanks for taking the time out to take part in the interview.

I have been reading your poetry for the past few months and wanted to know what inspired you to start writing?

I first started writing poetry when I became ill with Fibromyalgia 14 years ago. I found it really difficult to cope with the way I was feeling, both physically and mentally, and the changes my illness brought into my life. Writing was a way of expressing myself and getting my thoughts and feelings onto paper, it became a form of therapy for me. It started from there really.

How do you decide what to write about and why?

Usually it's dictated by the way I'm feeling. I don't normally decide on a topic and then try and write a poem about it, though I have done that in the past. Random thoughts and words will tend to pop into my head and I'll take it from there. Or I might be inspired by something I see, a word in a book, a conversation I've had. But most of my poems are about expressing my feelings and emotions in different ways. I also like to write about the weather: storms in particular, the sea and the sky - I will use these as imagery to express my feelings.

How do you connect with your readers?


I try to keep my content relevant and relatable. Not everyone has experienced ill health, or significant lifestyle changes, but most people can relate to the same feelings and emotions. But mostly I'm writing for myself and if other people like my poems too, then that's an added bonus.

So for those who are unfamiliar with your poems, can you tell us more about them?

Most of my poems are very emotional, either somewhat dark and brooding or looking for light/hope in dark times. I do have some lighter ones too and I've also written poems as dedications to people: to those I love, for weddings and christenings. I love playing around with words and I especially like to use metaphors (such as the weather, the sea, the sky) to express emotions and feelings. So I have a few poems about storms! I also like my poems to rhyme as I find it more of a challenge to write that way - language is fun and I love to experiment with different styles and themes!

Do you identify as disabled/chronically ill? If so how does this affect your daily life?

Yes, both. I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue: it's completely changed my life! I went from having quite a high powered, full-time job to being unable to work, at all in the space of a few years. I found this very difficult to accept - I still do. I'm in pain all the time, it never goes away even for a second, the chronic fatigue floors me and I don't sleep well either, so every day is a challenge. I wake up feeling exhausted, whether I've slept or not, (usually not!) with a splitting headache and in a lot of pain. It can take a few hours just to be able to get out of bed. The mornings are always a write off, so my days don't really start until noon - some days I'm unable to get out of bed at all. Others I find the willpower to battle on. But my weeks have to be planned, so that if I have to do something one day, I then have a couple of days to recover before I can do something else. I also have other co-morbid conditions (such as IBS, allergies and migraines) but the pain and fatigue are the symptoms that affect me the most! Weather also affects me - I'm able to do a little bit more in summer, as the warm weather is good for me.

Having established you live with several chronic illnesses - 
How did you feel when you first received your diagnoses?

Relieved at first, to have finally been given a diagnosis for the unexplained pain and fatigue I was experiencing every day. It took a year to be given a diagnosis and it was a relief to finally have a name for it. Then scared because I didn't know what to expect - a lot less was known about Fibromyalgia 14 years ago, I didn't know anyone else who had it and there were no support groups.

Are there any aids/equipment you use to help you stay independent?

I have a walking stick which I use when I need to walk, and lots of little gadgets that make life easier. Such as: silicone cups to help me open bottles and jars, grip tape, a gadget that helps me open ring pulls on cans, things like that. I also use my phone to set reminders for everything as my memory is so bad.

Which one of your posts was the most popular and why do you think that was?

Actually the most recent poem I wrote was the most popular post, a short one about the sea. I honestly don't know why, I imagined myself standing on the beach with the sun on my back and the sea inviting me in to wash away all my worries, and maybe other people were able to relate to that too and feel its calming influence.

If you could go back and talk to your younger self what would you say?

To walk away from certain toxic relationships a lot sooner, and not let myself get so stressed. I believe a lifetime of chronic stress is what led to the onset of my illness. I would also tell myself to embrace life more. Take more risks and just live a bit more... because life is short, and there are so many things I can no longer do that I wish I had done, when I was able to. You just don't know what's waiting for you around the corner. I spent too much of my life just waiting instead of living.

When you're not writing poetry, how do you spend your free time?

I love to read, that's my favourite way to relax as I can get lost in a book for hours and escape from real life, watch television and do quizzes and jigsaws on my phone. I also love to spend time with friends and family as often as I can. That's very important to me.

What was your most memorable holiday?

When I was about 18, we had a family holiday to Hong Kong, Bangkok and Bali. It was over 30 years ago, before Bali became the tourist destination it has become now, and it was very peaceful and idyllic while Hong Kong and Bangkok were colourful and exciting.

Looking back at your social media journey is there anything you would have done differently?

I would have done it sooner. I only opened my Instagram account in May. I'd posted the odd poem on my private Facebook page before, but I didn't have the confidence to go public and I wish I'd done it sooner. But better late than never!

Where do you see your social media platform going over the next 12 months?

I have no idea really and that's what's so exciting. I would love to grow my audience and eventually set up a blog. I've started writing content for one but I've been focusing on my poetry for now. Mainly I just want to keep writing and keep sharing. I also share some Fibromyalgia related content, as that's such a major part of my life now and I think it's important to raise awareness of invisible disabilities.

Describe yourself in 3 words.

Honest, thoughtful, creative.

How many followers do you have?

I have 231 at the moment, but I'm only just starting out and I've only had my account for 3 months. I honestly didn't set out with any great intentions, I just wanted to share my poetry and see what kind of response I got.

What advice would you give someone starting out on their social media journey?

Just to go for it. Don't put it off! Look for people with similar interests to follow, as it's good to support each other and be mindful there are catfish and trolls lurking everywhere. But the majority of people are just ordinary people sharing their crafts or trying to raise awareness of something they believe in, which is wonderful.

Do you think social media is a good or bad thing? Has it made the world more accessible?

Both! It's definitely made the world more accessible. I love that it connects me with friends and family all over the world. It's also a great platform for anyone who wants to share their craft in the public arena, whether that's writing, photography, music or something else. But I also think it causes a lot of pressure and brings out insecurities. And probably a bit of laziness too. Rather than phone or write to someone it's easier just to pop onto social media and "like" a post. It also makes trolling and bullying a much bigger problem than it used to be.

Where do you take inspiration from?

Anything and everything. Most of my poetry comes from my thoughts and emotions, but I also take influence from things I see, hear and read.

What are your hobbies?

Reading, watching TV, playing quizzes and board games, going out for coffee and meals (when I can, it's not often) and of course writing poetry!

What is your favourite movie and why?

It would be a toss up between The Wizard of Oz and Breakfast at Tiffany's. The Wizard of Oz because it brings back memories of my childhood and Christmas, which is my favourite time of year, and Breakfast at Tiffany's because I love Audrey Hepburn.

That's all folks - thanks for taking part Amanda!

Find out more about Amanda and her poetry over on her Instagram

Collaborative post with Amanda Hearn. If you liked this, be sure to check back regularly for other collaborative interviews! Thanks for stopping by!

Popular posts from this blog

Interview with Karen Darke MBE: Explorer, Adventurer and 'Modern Day Alchemist'

Accessible Heritage: Llancaiach Fawr Manor by Mobility Scooter [AD]

Hijinx Professional & Inclusive Theatre Company Presents Metamorphosis By Franz Kafka [AD]